Thursday, March 12, 2015

Vanishing Heroes

Growing up, I had my idea of what a real hero looked like. For a lot of little boys, it’s their Dad, or a big brother, I was no different. His heroes became my heroes. John Wayne’s personal beliefs about manhood and style of justice fit right in with my dad’s ideals. “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” I was never allowed to bully or start fights. I was taught to respect others, and their property. But on one occasion when I was bullied and beaten up, my Dad became angry, and it was mostly when he found out that I had refused to fight back. I was concerned that I would be in trouble just for being in a fight. What he said was this, “son, when someone pushes you long enough, and far enough, it’s time to stop them from pushing. You have to defend what is right, what is yours, and what you believe to be true." Needless to say, that was the last time that I was ever bullied without giving a response of resistance, or full out violence.
            I think the trouble today is that we have so ingrained our children to think that they can talk or negotiate their way out of anything. That no matter how evil or violent the aggressor, responding in force, or with gritty determination to defend themselves, is always viewed as socially wrong. There are many names and titles for what people call this theory. But it seems to have one major effect that I have come to question; What happened to all our heroes? Year after year we honor those who have passed, and recognize them as irreplaceable characters of honor, or defenders of the weak or oppressed. When I think of today’s movies and television, heroes do not come to mind. Actions becoming of heroes don’t even come to mind, so what’s happening?
            Surely dads, moms, brothers and sisters are still heroes to the young, but in this day of zero tolerances, the life lessons that we used to see as constructive and necessary are looked at with progressively convicting eyes, those who think- peace at any cost. It is that philosophy of passivism that, when not balanced with responsibility, is developing a generation of people that won’t stand up for themselves.  Leading through ethical, principled strength and responsible values is looked at in our progressive world as unacceptable and outdated behavior. Stopping a bully through returned aggression, is somehow a "barbaric" ritual that is no longer needed or welcome in our “modern” society. Let me remind you of what my dad told me so many years ago; he said, "son, when someone pushes you long enough, and far enough, it’s time to stop them from pushing. You have to defend what is right, what is yours, and what you believe to be true". These are the very principles that formed The United States. The very ideals that made us free to worship and serve God in our own way. The same freedom that God grants you every day, when you decide where your loyalties and treasures will be placed. Heroes aren't something you can make, or train. Heroes do what they do because they love or admire something too much to lose it! They are willing to give everything that they are, to preserve what they hold dear, and what they love. We can all be heroes, or... we can just keep looking for them. To be certain, we need to honor those who came before us and those who continue to give of themselves; some gave all that they had so that we could live and die the way we do. Free. Free to choose right. Free to defend the weak and oppressed, Free to be the Heroes for today.

-Randy Dysart (Dad)
for SR Dysart, Joshua R.                                                                                       ~ ShoeBoxProphet

No comments:

Post a Comment